4/1/09

Moment of Surrender

I am getting too “new-agey” these days. Maybe spring is getting to me. No sure what’s going on but I like it. Anyway, I have been listening to U2’s melodies and I discovered an underling theme in their songs that reminded me of Buddhist teachings of union with the world and surrendering to the “whole”.
U2 with the help of master musician Brian Eno composed a song that blows my socks off every time I listen to it: “Moment of Surrender” from their latest album “No Line on the Horizon”. “I was speeding on the subway through the stations of the cross… At the moment of surrender a vision of visibility…”
U2’s producers said that this is one of their most intense songs.
American scientist and business author Pete Senge’s interpretations of Jesus analogy: “It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God” is that the only way to feel connected is by empting our mental load from worries and our attachment to material stuff, so that we can pass through the needle and feel the whole. It may be too hard to do for a bunch of neurotics beeping on minivan horns, rushing for a metro, fighting with teenage kids and losing sleep over a Powerpoint presentation.
The only way to “feel” the One, God, Manitou, or something as simple as love for the world (or whatever that good feeling that has gotten over me is) is by empting ourselves. Put everything behind and just surrender to the best part of you.
Give it a try and let yourself go.

No comments: